First off, this was received as a gift for our 7-year-old, who is a HUGE history nut and who reads well above his grade level. However, he got a few pages into the book and completely lost interest, and when I asked him why, he said he couldn't understand it.
I took it on myself to read it to understand ... While it definitely contains some interesting knowledge and fun factoids, and I myself have learned some things and enjoyed some parts, here are my criticisms.
1. These books presume a healthy pre-existing knowledge of India. If you're not STEEPED in Indian geography and knowledge of social mores, then you will struggle to follow this.
2. While this set is "for children", not specifying the targeted age is strange. I can verify, the language is around 8th-10th grade (in US). While the exercises at the ends of the chapters could appeal to smaller kids, the language and expected background knowledge make it very challenging especially for non-Indian children.
3. the topics tend to wander a little bit - they will introduce a topic and talk about it, but then add in
4. some terms are not introduced or explained very well, but used in the explanations of other topics. In other cases, a term is defined very briefly but unused for another 30 pages.
5. The book uses some archeological knowledge to make assertions -- such as different pottery or pottery paint being significant -- but it doesn't give enough info as to why. In other words, it doesn't explain the significance of the differences it cites ... so that comes across as just "stuff."
In short, the book is distressingly challenging to read because of these reasons, especially for kids.
Other Sellers on Amazon
THE HISTORY OF INDIA FOR CHILDREN- FROM THE MUGHALS TO THE PRESENT - 2 VOL SET [Paperback] ARCHANA GARODIA GUPTA Paperback – 1 January 2017
Enhance your purchase
Frequently bought together
- Language : English
- ISBN-10 : 9351952959
- ISBN-13 : 978-9351952954
- Customer reviews:
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)||0%|
|4 star (0%)||0%|
|3 star (0%)||0%|
|2 star (0%)||0%|
|1 star (0%)||0%|